John is a Principal of Finity, focusing on supporting our New Zealand clients. He has had more than 20 years’ experience as a senior executive and consultant in insurance in New Zealand. He has held senior actuarial and finance management roles.
Ph +64 9 306 7701
Mobile +64 21 796 326
Areas of Expertise
- Strategy and capital management
- Product development and pricing
- Distribution strategy and management
- Mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Health Insurance
John works closely with some of New Zealand’s leading insurers, providing advice across a range of issues including reserving, pricing and capital management. He is focused on delivering high quality recommendations that give practical outcomes.
John leads Finity’s New Zealand practice and is the Appointed Actuary for two insurers. He is also closely involved in industry issues and the actuarial profession, being a member of the New Zealand Society of Actuaries Council, and the Professional Standards Committee.
- As the Appointed Actuary to New Zealand’s largest health insurer he has provided advice on, and assisted with, product development and pricing of market leading health insurance products.
- Assisted a large friendly society and a government insurer to develop funding policies, balancing policyholder security with the premium cost to policyholders.
- Assisted a large New Zealand insurer to gain insights into the drivers of retention behaviour and plan actions to improve their experience.
- Provided independent advice to an insurer’s Board and the Reserve Bank regarding a merger under the Insurance (Prudential Supervision) Act.