Key AACI insights:
- Records set across Summer for extreme high temperatures and consecutive dry days.
- Extreme wind levels and consecutive dry days for parts of NSW were the highest ever.
- Fire and storms caused significant losses.
- The combination of extreme heat, dryness and wind resulted in the third highest climate index value for Australia.
- Greater Sydney dam levels rose from historically low levels at 44.1%, to 64% capacity in a single day.
The latest Australian Actuaries Climate Index (AACI) provides more evidence that extreme conditions are occurring more frequently, consistent with predictions of the scientific community. The Index found that while we are likely to revert to more normal conditions in the near future we need use the time to better prepare for this type of weather.