Geoff Atkins is a Principal of Finity, and has been consulting in general insurance since 1984. Geoff’s experience covers a wide range of insurance issues in both the public and private sectors. He has been an adviser to many insurance and reinsurance companies and also to a number of CTP and workers compensation schemes in Australia and NZ.
Ph +61 2 8252 3337
Mobile +61 412 123 684
Areas of Expertise
- Accident compensation, especially scheme design
- Terrorism insurance and disaster schemes
- Regulatory systems, in particular risk based capital
- Specialty lines including builders warranty and lenders mortgage.
- Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia, 1980
- Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries, London, 1980
- Bachelor of Arts (Major in Actuarial Studies), Macquarie University, 1977
- March 2005 to present: Finity Consulting – Principal
- 2000 to 2005: Trowbridge Deloitte – Partner
- 1989 to 2000: Trowbridge Consulting – Consultant & Director
- 1984 to 1989: Trowbridge Tillinghast – Consultant & Principal
- 1980 to 1984: Friends Provident Life Office (now TAL) – Assistant Actuary
- 1978 to 1979: AMP Society – Actuarial Trainee
Description of Relevant Experience
Geoff Atkins is a Principal of Finity, and has been consulting in general insurance since 1984.
Geoff’s experience covers a wide range of insurance issues in both the public and private sectors. He has been an adviser to many insurance and reinsurance companies and also to a number of CTP and workers compensation schemes in Australia and NZ.
Key assignments/achievements include:
- Leading the actuarial due diligence for Promina IPO in 2002
- Leading an advisory team for the Australian Treasury during 2002 on the liability insurance crisis, including recommending a blue print for reform that has guided a major process of tort reform in all Australian jurisdictions between 2002 and 2004
- Leading the actuarial support team for APRA’s Inspector to the HIH group companies between March and May 2001 and subsequently leading the claims, reinsurance and actuarial team assisting ASIC with its investigation of HIH
- Designed the terrorism insurance solution for Australia – now the ARPC
- International regulatory development projects for New Zealand, Macedonia and Trinidad & Tobago
- Being named Actuary of the Year in 2003 by the Institute of Actuaries of Australia for his contribution to issues of national significance including medical indemnity, tort reform, asbestos problems and terrorism insurance.
- Geoff has been a contributor to thought leadership and professional practice on a wide variety of issues over many years, as evidenced by his various publications. Geoff was made an honorary Fellow of the Australian & NZ Institute of Insurance and Finance in 2007, in recognition of his contribution to the insurance industry and his high level of specialist knowledge.