Brett Riley is a Principal of Finity. He has been a general insurance consulting actuary since 1999. Brett has worked on a wide variety of assignments for a number of Australian and UK insurers and corporations across many lines of business, including pricing, reserving, planning, schemes of arrangement and capital management.
Ph +61 2 8252 3382
Areas of Expertise
- Enterprise Risk Management (ERM)
- Asbestos Liability Projections
- Appointed Actuary Assignments
- Volatility and Capital Management
- Stochastic Economic Modelling
- Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia, 1998
- Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary, 2012
- Associate Certified Insurance Professional, ANZIIF 2012
- Fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia, 2001
- Bachelor of Economics (Major in Actuarial Studies), Macquarie University, 1996
- December 2005 to present: Finity Consulting (Principal from May, 2008)
- 2002 to 2005: Deloitte & Touche LLP (UK) – Senior Manager
- 2000 to 2002: Trowbridge Deloitte – Consultant
- 1999 to 2000: Trowbridge Consulting – Consultant
- 1996 to 1999: Performance Research Manager, BT Funds Management
Description of Relevant Experience
Key achievements include:
- Brett is currently the Appointed Actuary for two Australian general insurers.
- He is the Chief Risk Officer for one insurer.
- Establishing and developing the Finity ERM practice.
- Leading Finity’s asbestos practice (from 2010). Brett has a wide range of experience in asbestos liability projections in both Australia and the UK.
- Brett was an APRA-appointed Inspector in 2009-10 for an Australian general insurer in run-off.
- Managing the actuarial work for two terminating schemes of arrangement for UK insurers, one solvent and one insolvent.
- At Finity and Trowbridge Brett has worked in the Volatility and Capital Management Team, specialising in stochastic economic modelling, DFA and capital modelling.
- Brett is a Convenor of the Risk Management Practice Committee (RMPC) of the Institute of Actuaries of Australia (IAAust). He is a former chair of the RMPC Education sub-committee.
- In 2007 and 2008 Brett was the Chief Examiner for the Part III course 3B (General Insurance) for the IAAust.
- Brett is a member of the Risk Management Faculty Advisory Board for the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF)